Position Profile – Area Manager
Reports to: Director of Operations
Direct Reports: Area Assistant, Floater(s), Field Cleaners
Area Manager Position Overview
Unlimited vacation, a company car, health care, and profit-sharing – If this sounds good to you, come join our team!
Our clients rely on us to keep their spaces clean, safe, and secure. We’re looking for a friendly and professionalteam member to join Populist Cleaning Co as an Area Manager. The Area Manager acts as the Company representative in all aspects of the business, creating, maintaining, and nurturing relationships throughout the job sites, both with customers and with staff.
By consistently ensuring clarity, adherence, and alignment to the company’s Core Values, processes, operating systems, you’ll hold the Job Site teams accountable, helping to remove obstacles and barriers and ensuring the team is healthy, functional, and cohesive.
In addition to the full use of a company vehicle, this position also offers health insurance, a company retirementplan, professional development, and career opportunities. You’ll also be able to participate in the company’s profit-sharing plan!
Desired Outcomes /Accountabilities
- Lead, Manage, and hold Accountable (LMA) all Direct Reports
- Optimize and oversee operations to ensure efficiency.
- Deal with problems by providing creative and practical solutions.
- Evaluate performance using key metrics and address issues to improve it
- Train, develop, and mentor your staff on an ongoing basis to drive employee engagement.
- Analyze job site budgets and optimize profitability through cost-effective methods.
- Investigate potential business opportunities (carpet cleaning, floor finishing, paper supplies, etc.) within the assigned job sites and relay details to the appropriate division in the company.
- Lead and motivate your team to provide the best customer service.
- Evaluate the performance of your staff on a quarterly basis.
- Acknowledge customer queries in a timely and effective manner.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary Range: $45k – $55k commensurate with experience.
- Unlimited vacation time (Area Manager is responsible for arranging for coverage at all sites).
- Health, vision, and dental insurance are available after 90 days of employment subject to company rules.
- Company vehicle, cell phone, laptop.
- Company 401K with match after one year of employment subject to company rules.
- Commission and profit-sharing
Location & Travel
This position is based out of the Main Office, located in Ypsilanti, MI.
*There is also an opening at our East Office in Farmington Hills, MI for an Area Manager.
Throughout the week, the Area Manager spends time both in the office and at various job sites, with a flexible schedule. This isn’t your regular 9-5 office job; you’ll be visiting customer locations, checking in with field cleaners, and meeting with team members, which requires some work outside of typical “business hours”.
- You’re an excellent listener and are proactive in problem solving.
- You follow through on commitments.
- You have the ability to take charge without being overbearing or abrasive.
- You have the ability to interview and hire “A” players, and welcome the opportunity to coach and develop existing team members.
- You’re calm under pressure and are able to manage schedules for multiple project management.
- You are detail-oriented and good at multitasking, allowing you to maintain accurate information for many different customers and team members.
- Must possess excellent listening skills
- Must have the ability to take charge without being abrasive
- Must pay attention to details
- Must follow through on commitments without exception
- Must possess a high level of intelligence (emotional, critical, analytical)
- Must be proactive (forcing resolution, being the driver when necessary)
- Must possess a high level of organizational & planning skills
- Must have the ability to identify and hire ”A” players
- Must possess the ability to coach and develop team members
- Must be calm under pressure
- Must manage schedules with appropriate attention to detail. This includes managing time- off requests, call-offs, and employee assignment changes
- Must oversee site data books, job site keys, security systems, safety
- Must keep copious notes and detailed documentation regarding any incidents that follow from the incident, injury, disciplinary functions, and termination. Maintain accurate documentation on events that may lead to work comp claims or unemployment claims
- Must be comfortable with conflict, identifying, calling out, and finding a resolution to issues
Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include but are not limited to the following: apply pertinent policies, regulations, and/or laws; plan and manage projects; prepare and maintain accuraterecords. This position requires office work, sitting for extended periods of time, using computers, smartphones, tablets, other electronic devices, driving, traveling to customer and prospect job sites, and other businesses. Must perform cleaning activities at job sites in the event of unforeseen short-staffed situations. Must have an acceptable driving record to be included in company vehicle insurance coverage.
Important aspects of this position include the following: math competency, working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel). Ability to problem-solve, lead, manage, hold accountable. The ability to communicate verbally and in writing in a clear, professional manner is required.
- Valid Driver’s License with an insurable driving record
- At least 3 years of previous management/supervisory experience required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, height, weight or any other legally protected classification.