Let’s briefly look at what our Director of Operations does.
Here are some of the main duties:
- Lead, mentor, and manage all Area Managers
- Spearhead Leadership, Management, and Accountability for all Branch Managers and Special Projects Managers
- Facilitate weekly L10 meetings, one-on-ones, Quarterly Conversations and Scorecard management with direct reports
- Be responsible for the financial performance of all operations
- Monitor ongoing staffing levels and utilization of workforce
- Evaluate and analyze budgets and performance for each branch
- Participate in budget creation
- Maintain job safety and ensure OSHA compliance
- Create structure and scale to open new branch locations
What kind of person is best suited to be a Director of Operations?
Our Director of Operations needs to be a resourceful people manager with strong critical and strategic thinking skills. They need to work to understand how others handle opportunities and challenges, be able to listen actively, and respond thoughtfully. They must be an excellent communicator with experience in unifying teams and developing leadership. They will be an operations-minded professional with strong financial acuity. As we stated in our recruiting materials our ideal candidate for this position is:
- Patient, Humble, Hungry, Balanced, and Tech-savvy
- Collaborative: You’re a unifier who’s not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty to drive team camaraderie
- Diplomatic: You recognize when to get involved and when to delegate. You know your audience and are willing to be the bad guy if needed, objectively seeing the right path forward through the noise.
- Accountable: You are willing to make tough decisions and hold others accountable according to our standards and expectations. You possess the capacity to create the structures needed to bring calmness to the storm.
- Self-reliant: You demonstrate a high level of individual responsibility and self-reliance. You take ownership of your choices and actions and are willing to carry your weight and follow-through on promises.
- Innovative: You’re a strong change manager and creative problem solver. You’re willing to embrace new ways and ideas, looking at different perspectives and learning from your mistakes. You see the big picture – all the moving pieces and how they fit together – and seek to lead the company where it needs to go.
- A Mentor: You meet people where they are and encourage them to be active participants in their own growth and development. You are skilled at considering personalities and circumstances in all situations while keeping emotions aside.
Our culture here at Populist values people who are smarter than we are and who align themselves with our company core values. We love a balanced sense of humor and look for partners who recognize the value of a growth-mindset. We’re growing the business to grow others. We are not above doing the nitty gritty, and are look for leaders who feel the same way!